In 1965, famed and prolific radio broadcaster, Paul Harvey shared personal commentary on what he thought Satan would try to do in the forthcoming generations to divide and uproot God from society’s moral fabric.
His seemingly innocuous words in 1965 were most likely easily forgotten after a day or two, but as the decades since have shown us—perhaps Harvey’s words were more than mere commentary. Many are saying they were actually an on-the-nose prophetic warning to America.
This man, a trusted voice in American culture from 1952 to 2008, spoke clearly and concisely about the various methods he felt the enemy was stealthily determined to erode our nation with—many key points having since proven eerily true.
Harvey began his 1965 broadcast warning, “If I were the devil. If I were the prince of darkness, I’d want to engulf the whole world in darkness. And I would have a third of its real estate and four-fifths of its population, but I wouldn’t be happy until I had seized the ripest apple on the tree, thee.”
“So, I’d set about, however, necessary to take over the United States,” Harvey continued before laying out what he felt would be the enemy’s plan of attack step by step.
‘If I were the devil…’
- “I’d subvert the churches first.”
- “With the wisdom of a serpent, I would whisper to you as I whispered to Eve, ‘Do as you please.'”
- “To the young, I would whisper that the bible is a myth.”
- “I would convince them that man created God instead of the other way around.”
- “I would confide that what is bad is good, and what is good is square.”
- “And the old I would teach to pray after me, ‘Our Father, which art in Washington.'”
- “I’d educate authors…to make lurid literature exciting so that anything else would appear dull and uninteresting.”
- “I’d threaten TV with dirtier movies and vice versa.”
- “I’d peddle narcotics to whom I could.”
- “I’d sell alcohol…”
- “I’d tranquilize the rest with pills.”
- “I’d soon have families at war with themselves, churches at war with themselves and nations at war with themselves until each in its’ turn was consumed.”
- “With promises of higher ratings, I’d have mesmerizing media fanning the flames.”
- “I would encourage schools to refine young intellects but to neglect to discipline emotions…I’d let those run wild until…you’d have to have drug-sniffing dogs and metal detectors at every school house door.”
- “I’d have prisons overflowing.”
- “I’d have judges promoting pornography.”
- “Soon, I could evict God from the courthouse, and then from the schoolhouse and then from the houses of Congress.”
- “And in His own churches, I would substitute psychology for religion and deify science.”
- “I would lure priests and pastors into misusing boys and girls and church money.”
- “I’d make the symbol of Easter the egg and the symbol for Christmas a bottle.”
- “I would take from those who have and I would give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious.”
- I would get “whole states to promote gambling as the way to get rich.”
- “I would caution against extremes in hard work, in patriotism, in moral conduct.”
- “I would convince the young that your marriage is old fashioned, that swinging is more fun, that what you see on TV is the way to be.”
- “And thus I could undress you in public, and I could lure you into bed with diseases for which there is no cure.”