In the wake of George Floyd’s tragic murder at the hands of Minneapolis police, many Americans are ready to face the reality of racial injustice in our country and commit to a journey of understanding and empathy.
While you may have gracious friends willing to share their stories with you, it’s important for all of us to commit to the work of educating ourselves without putting all the responsibility on minorities. For those unsure where they can begin their learning journey, here is a list of resources to get started.
While these suggestions barely scratch the surface of the resources available to learn about the experience of people of color, they are a great jumping-off point for a journey of understanding and empathy.
Videos unpacking the racial realities in our country and highlighting the importance change and empathy.
- Let’s Get to the Root of Racial Injustice/ Megan Ming Francis/ TedxRanier/ Tedx Talks/ Mar. 21, 2016
- Dr. Robin Diangelo Discusses ‘White Fragility’/ Seattle Channel/ Jul. 3, 2018
- Why I’m not Racist is only Half the Story/ Robin Diangelo/ Big Think/ Oct. 1, 2018
- George Floy, Minneapolis Protests, Ahead Arbery & Amy Cooper/ The Daily Social Distancing Show/ The Daily Show with Trevor Noah/ May 29, 2020
- “How Studying Privilege Systems Can Strengthen Compassion”: Peggy Mcintosh at TedxTimberlaneSchools/ Tedx Talks/ Nov. 5, 2012
- Brene Brown on Empathy/ The RSA/ Dec. 10, 2013
Documentaries and historical dramas.
- 13th/ Ava Duvernay/ 2016 – Netlix
- When They See Us/ Ava Duvernay/ 2019
- Just Mercy/ Destin Daniel Cretton/ 2019
- Selma/ Ava Duvernay/ 2014
- Black American Since MLK: And Still I Rise/ 2016 – PBS
- Time: The Kalief Browder Story/ 2017 – Netflix
A mixture of powerful novels, psychological, historical, faith-based and practical works.
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Toegher in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations About Race/ Beverley Daniel Tatum/ 2017
- White Fragility/ Robin J. Diangelo/ 2018
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness/ Michelle Alexander/ 2010
- Divided by Faith: Evangelical Religion and the Problem of Race in America/ Michael O. Emerson, Christian Smith/ 2001
- How to Be an Antiracist/ Ibram X. Kendi/ 2019
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings/ Maya Angelou/ 1969
- So You Want to Talk About Race/ Ijeoma Oluo/ 2018
- Their Eyes were watching God/ Zora Neale Hurston/ 1937
- Invisible Man/ Ralph Ellison/ 1952
- Just Mercy/ Bryan Stevenson/ 2014
- The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism/ Jemar Tisby/ 2019