Studies by mental health experts have shown that dogs can help you fight depression. Adopting one of these famous breeds can affect your mental health in a positive way and here’s why—the caregiving side of looking after a pet adds to a well-balanced life.
Dr. Danielle Forshee, Psy.D, LCSW, told Bustle that, “Current literature suggests that one of the reasons dog ownership is effective at combating depression and anxiety is because dogs compel their owners to do more outdoor exercise.” Dr. Forshee included that any dog breed can increase your happiness through their amazing companionship.
The doctor explained that certain breeds can be a pivotal instrument to your health. “While there is no research indicating there is a specific type of breed or breeds of dog that are most effective at decreasing human depression and anxiety; [but] research has found that various breeds of hunting dogs (retrievers, pointers and setters) are associated with the lowest risks of cardiovascular health problems.”
Here is a list according to Bustle of the 7 best breeds for fighting depression.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Known for their love to cuddle and are super affectionate.
- Labrador Retriever. Ranked as the most popular dog breed by the American Kennel Club. They are known for being friendly, outgoing and high-spirited.
- Poodle. Hypoallergenic, super social and excellent at adapting to their surroundings.
- Golden Retriever. Extremely friendly, intelligent and devoted to their humans.
- Yorkshire Terrier. Loyal, loving and unbelievably cute.
- Viszla. They form very close bonds with their humans and hate being left alone.
- Pugs. Naturally positive dogs that live to love and be loved.
Man’s best friend has amazing health benefits as loyal companions. They help us with exercise, socialization and realizing self-worth—all of which are powerful anti-depressants. Often treated as part of the family, and for good reason, dogs add a certain tenderness and joy to life that only animals can bring.