“I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.”
I agree with Charles Dickens. This is one of my favorite quotes because its meaning is universal and timeless. Regardless of religious affiliation, spiritual beliefs, non-secular, secular if only we could express the spirit of Christmas each and every day of the year, I believe the world would be a happier, more loving, more peace, more conscious-centered place for us all.
Here are Christmas quotes from some of our spiritual mothers and fathers, and a few noteworthy others to inspire us to do just that. While any of the following sentiments can stand by themselves, their order is intentional.
- “Christmas is joy, religious joy, an inner joy of light and peace.” —Pope Francis
- “It is Christmas every time you let God love others through you…yes, it is Christmas every time you smile at your brother and offer him your hand.” —Mother Teresa
- “Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.” —Charles M. Schultz
- “Christmas, my child, is love in action. Every time we love, every time we give, it’s Christmas.” —Dale Evans Rogers
- “Christmas doesn’t come from a store, maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more.” —Dr. Seuss
- “Every day can be like Christmas in its love and its peace if our hearts open up and make room for love. The holy child is waiting to be born in every instant, not just once a year.” —Marianne Williamson
- “A good conscience is a continual —Benjamin Franklin
- “When you give up yourself, that’s when you will feel the true spirit of Christmas. And that’s giving, that’s serving others and that’s when you feel fulfilled.“ —Joel Osteen
- “Christmas is a state of mind. It is found throughout the year whenever faith overcomes doubt, hope conquers despair and love triumphs over hate. It is present when men of any creed bring love and understanding to the hearts of their fellow man.” —Ronald Reagan
- “[T]hat’s really what Christmas is all about. Each of us is incredibly blessed in so many ways. But those blessings aren’t just meant to be enjoyed–they’re meant to be used and shared with those who have less. The Christian faith teaches us that on this day a child was born so that we might have eternal life. And at the heart of many of the world’s great religions is the idea that we’re all better off when we treat our brothers and sisters with the same love and compassion that we want for ourselves.” —Barack Obama
- “And Know that I am with you always; yes, to the end of time.” —Jesus Christ
May the spirit of Christmas be within you and those around you throughout the coming year.